Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thing 5


Explore Flickr and learn about this popular image hosting site.

Well I seem to be over at Google now. On Flickr 2 hours and still browsing. How much credit do I get if I complete 1/2 of the 23?

(I will be revisiting thing 1 and 3 shortly! -- completed!)

On Flikr I found photos of my pottery teachers work in a show called Utility Inspired: Clay at Main Line Art Center in Philadelphia -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sokref1/158369732/

The whole show is documented on Flikr and here is my teachers piece.


Jack Troy: cosmic-burned affect (set)


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sokref1/sets/72157594152655389/



And here is the celebrity who hangs tirelessly in the Detention Center Library





Tags - Lots to say about tags, but most interesting to me so far is when you are a photographers "main page" or whatever and you look at their tags they are arranged in a box alphabetically and the more photos with that tag the bigger the type face of the name of the tag.

I have been browsing a book on digital assets management and similar tagging is one of ways suggested by the author for pro photographers to organize their photos. He suggests physically descriptive and emotionally descriptive tags for each photo, plus a quality rating. For you personal collection you would probably control you tag vocabulary even is only unconsciously. I suppose searching Flickr tags is something like searching the for free internet. You usually find what you want, especially if you a re looking for what everyone else is looking for, but it is probably impossible to have a search be precise or exhaustive. Hopefully controlled vocabulary indexing does better. Back to Flickr, some submitters photos have no tags so tag search will never find their photos. But I always go away happy because there are so very many photos that I always see something interesting.

I plan to sign in to Flickr but I am going to take some time to come up with a good alias before I do (after 23 Things!)

No comments: